Pages

.


.


Udi's Blueberry Muffin Copycat Recipe

views the best pictures

My son says, "Mommy call them better than Udi's.  No, call them better than Perkins."  After so many failed attempts I had him try, I am flattered by his eagerness.

So why the copy?  I had a reader ask me to duplicate Udi's Blueberry Muffins recently.  To tell you the truth, I NEVER ever tried Udi's Blueberry Muffins.  Truth!  Why?!?!  I already have the best blueberry muffin recipe ever right here on my blog!!!!  (laugh)....  In fact, I would have to drive an hour into town to even purchase those Udi's muffins.  But I live to serve so when our local tiny whole foods type store received in some of those muffins I squealed!  LITERALLY!!!    B~L~U~E~B~E~R~R~Y.......  Everybody in the store turned around to look at me.  I politely smiled right on through.

Upon trying the first muffin, all that sugar that I don't usually eat went right to the delight center of my brain!  So good!!  LOL..  So much sugar....  :-D.   I ate another one, hey its for the blog right? It's work!!!! I did a mini workout after to make up for it.  You guys KNOW Im on that diet right?!?!?  I literally gained 3 pounds during this experiment so back to the old diet drawing board. See how much I love my small niche of readers?  I gained 3 pounds for you guys!!!

The Udi's Blueberry Muffin texture reminds me of their white bread.  Same flour combination, proportions, measurements.  That same mostly tapioca starch type of chew balanced with the right amount of brown rice flour.  Not too much brown rice flour or it would get too dense. These muffins were not dense, but rather chewy and sort of light.  No light like their bagels are, where you can imagine them floating off your counter.

I dove right into the ingredient breakdown and trial baking.  At the store, I picked up the large package of blueberries, something told me I was going to need it.  Oh about 7 way too crumbly muffin batches later (where the muffin literally sucked the moisture right out of your mouth).... I finally got it right.  Moist, stays together without crumbling apart, just the right chewiness.  Is finally right and I can share it with you.

A few additional notes I wanted to mention.  Udi's uses a bit of dried blueberries.  A real true copycat would also use dried blueberries.  I THOUGHT I had dried blueberries at home.  Somebodies belly is now full of them instead.  I got to thinking.  Why the mixture of fresh and dried?  Is it to help alleviate costs of the fresh blueberries?  Is it to help ward off molding?  These muffins won't last long enough to mold, TRUST ME! LOL. I am not using dried blueberries in my muffins because I did not have any.  If you wish to do an exact copycat, go ahead and add a few tablespoons.


Ingredients:

1/2 cup Oil
1/2 cup Water
3 eggs
1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1-1/4 cup Sugar

1 cup Tapioca Starch
3/4 cup Brown Rice Flour
1/4 cup Potato Starch
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoons Xanthan Gum

1 generous Cup Blueberries (plus a few extra for the side)
    (a few tablespoons of dried blueberries to dulicate Udi's exactly)
1 Tablespoon Sparkling Sugar for topping on each muffin



Preheat Oven to 425 degrees.
Grease Jumbo muffin tin well with butter.
     Alternatively line standard muffin tin with papers or greease muffin tin well.
  • Add moist ingredients into a medium sized mixing bowl.  Mix until fully combined with a fork.
  • Add dry ingredients and continue to stir until lumps are dissolved and gum pulls the batter together nicely.  Don't need to overdo it here
  • Add blueberries and stir gently.
  • Scoop 1/4 heaping cup into a standard sized muffin tin. Muffins cups will only be 3/4's full.  If you are using a mini muffin tin or a texas sized jump, same rule applies, 3/4's full.
  • Bake muffins at:
    • Jumbo at 425 for for 5 minutes then 350 for 25 minutes.
    • Standard at 425 for for 5 minutes then 350 for 18 minutes.
    • Mini at 350 for 12 minutes.





No comments:

Post a Comment