Pages

.


.


Menu Plan Monday: Week of April 26th, 2010

views the best pictures

We have all be suffering with allergies this season pretty badly.  My goal is to seek out local honey and incorporate it into each meal some way.  In yogurt, on fresh bread, in marinade.


Monday:
Taco's
Home Made Tortilla's
Served with Lettuce, Tomato, Cheese & Sour Cream
Home Made Refried Beans

Tuesday:
Marinaded Grilled Steak
Black Bean Salad
Steamed Broccoli
Fresh Baked Bread

Wednesday:
Church

Thursday:
Baked Chicken
Home Made Rice-a-Roni
Cole Slaw
Corn

Friday:
Sausage and Bean Stew
Carrots
Cornbread

Saturday:
Green Beans
Garden Salad with Home Made Ranch


Sunday:
Fresh Rolls
Caesar salad


Have you watched Jamie Oliver's food revolution?  He is challenging America to eat meals that start with fresh whole foods.  Foods that do not have long ingredient labels full of junk.  Ever since my illness that is exactly my mission for my house so I was excited to view his mission.  I strongly felt that the junk we eat was killing us.  I think fresh whole foods are healing in nature and was provided to us by god for that purpose.  That is why i prepare my own fresh ingredient convenience foods.  Why I quick prep and freeze some items like mashed potatoes.  My children do not get offered convenience junk snack foods.  They get offered almonds, fruit, veggies and dairy snacks.  Soda's are not purchased here.  Tea, water, milk and whole sugar free juice only.

Jamie is starting in the schools which I happen to think is a brilliant idea.  You should see the disgusting food they serve my child at school.  He eats breakfast AND lunch there.  He insists on eating breakfast there as it is a social time for him to chat freely with his friends.  Slowly but surely he started to gain weight.  He is up 20 pounds since we moved here and I had no clue what changed.  After a few visits to lunch, I made a quick observation. Our old school district (before this last move) had better food choices and I was very disappointed to see how much the quality had dropped in moving.  I could fully pack for him, I'm considering that option.  He really likes getting the tray like everybody else.  So I sought out to educate my child on "healthy" food options.  He no longer chooses the chocolate milk.  Only 1% white for him.  I actually walked him though the line and pointed out his "good" choices.  He is a kid, I know he is not necessarily going to listen to all of my instructions.  But I am proud to say that he at least still chooses the proper milk.

Did you see Jamie ask the children the names of the various veggies?  I am also proud to boast that my child knew the answers to the vegetable questions he proposed.  He knows beets start off with that red stalk and would have been able to identify those.  He would even get the veggies he hates correct (eggplant, cauliflower).  Does that mean he eats his veggies without issue?  Absolutely NOT!  In fact, I have to SNEAK his cauliflower into his mashed potatoes :-D. I'm working on it.  This year we started our own organic vegetable garden.  We started the seeds ourself and the children had the chance to watch the whole process.  I hope with the children's involvement they will learn to eat their vegetables easier.

The food plan I follow for my own children at home is based on the food pyramid guidelines which includes 2 milks a day, 2 servings of meat, 3 or more veggies, 2 ore more fruits, and 6 grains.  They are offered a Milk, Fruit and Grain for breakfast (for example: Fruit and Yogurt Parfait with Granola). For snack they are offered another fruit or vegetable and grain (Whole grain bread or bagels, Nuts, granola, pretzels, tortilla chips with dip or spread).  Main meals are meat, vegetable, milk and grain.

You should seriously head on over to Jamie's web page and sign his petition.

No comments:

Post a Comment