Pages

.


.


Udi's White Bread Copycat Recipe

views the best pictures


This recipe and its ingredients were based on the Udi's bread available on the market back in 2010. The packaging and ingredients have since change.  I did a stupid thing, tho. In trying to delete a bread machine post (which folks were having way too much trouble with) I accidentally deleted the originally posted Udi's Copycat Recipe.  So if you are wondering why you are getting this again, this is why.  

Anyhoo, the sole purpose of this experiment was to duplicate the super expensive bread I was traveling an hour into town to purchase at $6 a loaf.  Have I told you how tiny the town I live in is?  Besides that, I LOVE copycats!!!

That said, the last time I was in town (prior to this experiment) I picked up a loaf and wrote down the ingredients according to how they were listed on the package. Since ingredients are placed in order by heaviest weight first, that is where I started. Next I did a google search to see if I could find any other bread making tips. I found some of the information and ideas I used in this experiment here.

I measured the Udi's brand bread. It was 3 inches wide by 4 inches tall by 8 inches long. So one would assume that the pan should be an 8 x 3 pan. My end result weighed 16 oz so too heavy. Next step was the taste comparison.  I ate a whole slice of each bread trying to determine if the taste was the same. I think its pretty close. It turned out to be a very nice light white loaf of bread. It was not gummy at all nor crumbly. I think it should have risen a bit more so I may work on that as well.



1 cup (120 g) Tapioca Starch
3/4 (119 g) cup Brown Rice Flour
1/4 (48g) cup Potato Starch
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
3 Egg Whites
2 Tablespoons Sugar
1 package (2 1/2 tea) Rapid Rise Yeast
2 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
3/4 cup Warm Water

Preheat oven to 170 degrees. Once preheated turn oven off.
Lightly grease an 8 x 4 bread pan.
  • Add Water, Oil, Sugar, and Yeast into a small bowl or measuring cup and mix until combined.
  • Allow water mixture to sit and allow yeast to become foamy.
  • Meanwhile, with whip attachment on your stand mixer, whip egg whites for approximately 1 minute or until it develops a soft peak.
  • While those two are working, add Gum, Salt, Baking Powder and flours into a small bowl and mix until fully combined.
  • Add vinegar, yeast/water mixture and flours in stand mixer with whipped egg and whip for 3 or 4 minutes.
  • Scoop batter into your 8 x 3 baking pan and smooth top with your wet hands.
  • Place pan into the warmed oven and allow to rise for about 1 hour (I warm my oven to 170 degrees and then turn oven off)
  • When bread is finished rising it will be only slightly above the top of the baking pan.
  • When rising is finished, with bread dough still in the oven, turn oven on to 350 degrees and set timer for 70 minutes.
  • Take bread out of the oven and out of the pan. Let bread rest on cooling rack until bread is room temperature.
  • Slice with electric knife and freeze what you will not need immediately.
Notes:
  • Rise time is approximate.  In rising, bread should not rise beyond just slightly above top of the pan.
  • Don't rush the cooling step, it needs to cool properly or you will squash the bread height.
  • A special thank you to Stephanie McKenzie from Reading Your Lips who converted and experimented with gram weights on the flours/starches in this recipe.

Udi's Copycat Recipe Experiment Take Two - This was an experiment using powdered eggs.


My Udi's Copycat White Bread Recipe originally appeared on Extraordinary Life on 08/16/2010.  Please do not reprint this original recipe on your blog without permission!

No comments:

Post a Comment