Pages

.


.


Paste E Figoli Soup (no meat)

views the best pictures

As my very good friend Alison says, "There are millions of versions of this recipe on the net".  This is so true.  But this recipe is MY FAVORITE.  The bean puree gives it a really nice creamy flavor without the cream.  
I have said before that the Italian recipes on this blog are my mothers.  Although this is considered an Italian dish, it is not my creation nor one of my families recipes. It may be the only Italian recipe in my files that is not ours.  Where I got it from, I have no idea.  But it is awesome!!!  

Here is my very favorite Recipe for Pasta E. Fagioli soup:


1 bag frozen soup mix vegetables (onion, celery, carrots) (could use 1 cup fresh each)
1 beef and 1 chicken bouillon cube
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 - 15 ounce cans cannelloni beans (one pureed in blender with can juices to form paste)
8 ounce tomato sauce (or crushed if you like the chunks)
1 Tablespon basil
1 Tablespoon parsley
1 Tablespoon oregano
1 teaspoon rosemary
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 can chicken broth (or 2 cups fresh)
1 can beef broth (or 2 cups fresh)
    (or use 1 quart of any kind of stock)
2 cups water
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups Ditalini pasta or other small pasta (I order my GF verson from Amazon, see below)
Grated Parmigiana or Romano cheese

In a deep pot, saute vegetables and garlic in olive oil over medium heat.
Blend the can of beans with the one cup water in electric blender until almost smooth.
Add blended beans to pan then add the can or tomato sauce, celery, chicken broth, basil, bay leaf, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper to taste.
Add 1 cup water and bring to slow boil. Let simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
Add pasta and cook uncovered until pasta is al dente, according to pasta directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment