Pages

.


.


Gluten Free Asiago Cheese Bagels

views the best pictures

My daughter and I going about our morning like usual when we noticed another individual enjoying a bagel.  We both immediately needed one.  I must admit the idea of making bagels intimidated me.  I used to watch my wonderful aunt make them when I was a child and recall thinking how overwhelming the whole process seemed.  But I had read another blogger mommy's post and how she made them.  I thought, I must try.  And so we did.

Back in my Gluten filled days, Asiago Cheese were my favorite kind.  I just so happen to have some of this cheese on hand so I felt it was fate.  The flour I had on hand, Pamela's bread mix of course.  I love this mix and always have it around.  I'll repost Pamela's instructions for keep sake.  My hope is that my daughter will be able to come back to this site and find all the items I have mastered over the years.


This is too much work to do for just 6 bagels so I'm doubling it.  Makes 12 Bagels.  Slice and Freeze what you do not eat immediately.

7 cups Pamela's Bread/Flour Mix
2 yeast packets or 4-1/2 teaspoons (fast acting)
2-2/3 cup Warm Water (110 degrees)
1/2 cup Oil
1 cup cheese in mix and remaining for top

  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  • Using a heavy duty stand mixer with whisk attachment combine flour, yeast, oil, cheese and water.
  • Mix on medium for 3 minutes.
  • Using a greased 1/2 measuring cup scoop out dough for each bagel and place on greased baking sheet.

  • Oil up your hands and smooth out the dough and form round bagel shapes.   

  • Poke hole in the middle with your fingers and allow to rest for one hour.

  • I find its best to not go any wider than the 1/2 measuring cup as gluten free bread items expand out and not up. For that reason I like to use my muffin top pan to try and control the expansion width.

  • Boil about 8 cups of water in a pot.  Boil 2 bagels at at time for 25 seconds each.

  • Remove with slotted spoon and place on greased baking sheet.
  • Top remaining cheese on each bagel.
  • Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.  I find two pans need 25 minutes but one pan needs 20.  Your oven may vary.


For Freshly Baked Morning Bagels:
Prepare dough, shape bagels on greased baking sheet.  Poke a hole in center of each bagel.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.  Bagels will rise while in refrigerator.  In the morning boil for 25 seconds each and bake at 400 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment