Pages

.


.


Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake

views the best pictures

I have several reasons for wanting to make this cake.  First of all I have not had good coffee cake for so long.  Second, Betty Crocker Gluten Free Bisquick can now be found on Walmart shelves. And the part I love the most?   I love the convenience of that.  And third, I need a travel breakfast for my vacation to Disney World this week.



Today I set out to make a coffee cake as a test cake to see if this is what we want to bring with us for traveling.

The first thing I noticed was the recipe on the box of Betty Crocker Gluten Free Bisquick. The next thing I did was look at my favorite recipe blogger, Home Joys.  And finally, I did a search for Gluten Free Coffee Cake.  I do not know why but the King Arthur Flour web page came up.  This recipe is a mixture of the three.  What I typically do is use columns and record in each column what each various recipe calls for.  Then I decide how I'm going to go about making mine.  This is what I came up with.  It was just exactly the way I think coffee cake should be.  And remember, my memories of wheat flour are vivid still.  This recipe is wonderfully moist and tender with a flavorful cinnamon middle layer and streusel top.  I'm getting better with making the streusel top in gluten free baking.  I have learned that the crumbles need to be bigger then they were in wheat baking.  Otherwise they dissolve into the cake.  Please enjoy this recipe as I did.



Cake
1/2 cup Butter (Softened)
1/2 cup White Sugar
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
3 Eggs
2 cups Flour (1 bisquick, 1/2 Surghum, 1/2 Millet)
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 cup Vanilla Yogurt (Sour Cream can be subbed)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Filling
1 cup Brown Sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons Cinnamon
1 tablespoon Cocoa Powder

Topping
1 cup Brown Sugar
2/3 Bisquick
2 Tablespoon Cinnamon
1/2 cup Butter
1/4 cup nuts (finely chopped)

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease two 9" round cake pans (I like to make an extra one for the freezer but a larger 9 x 13 pan will work nicely too.

2) Start by making the cake batter.  Gluten Free batter likes to be whipped for longer to give your cake more lift. Add to your mixer bowl the butter, sugar and cream.  Add eggs and mix until incorporated.  Add flour, cinnamon, yogurt and vanilla until combined and smooth.  Leave whipping and work on the topping.

3) Make topping by adding sugar, flour and cinnamon into the bowl.  Stir to incorporate.Add the butter and cut in with a fork until the mix is crumbly and butter is the size of or smaller than the size of a pea.  Set aside.

4) To make the filling, add cinnamon, sugar and cocoa powder together.  Mix well and set aside.

5) Pour 1/4th of the batter in each of the two 9" round cake pans (or half into the 9 x 13).  Spread batter all the way to the edges

6) Sprinkle filling in each pan to cover batter.

7) Top with remaining batter and carefully spread to cover filling without mixing.

8) With a butter knife or spatula, swirl the filling into the batter as though you were making a marble cake.  Do not combine throughly.  Just slightly swirl the filling though the batter.


9) Sprinkle topping over the batter.

10) Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment