Pages

.


.


Quick and Easy Mexican Rice

views the best pictures

I will never forget the first time buying a packet of Lipton Mexican style rice as an adult.  I lived in New Jersey and worked full time with an hour commute each way.  Super frugal check out mommy was saying to me, "You know you can just cook your rice along with a can of diced tomatoes and it will turn out just as great".  Bahh, I don't have time for that nonsense I said to myself.  (Tee Hee). I was so far from the person I am today.  With my daughters diagnoses, I can no longer BUY Lipton packets.  I was FORCED to find my inner chef and make it from scratch.  But making it from scratch still should not take forever, KWIM? Now how was it that check out lady said to make it.  Ahh fooey, I forget.  So off I go to figure out a simple version of what I recall her telling me back then.  I added a few things to it, like the onion, garlic and cumin.  I add cumin to everything Spanish or Mexican, I LOVE cumin.  It is my all time favorite spice!




1 cup Rice
2 cups Water 
2 Bouillon Cubes (herb ox Chicken, but either would work)
8 ounces Tomato Sauce
1 teaspoon Cumin
2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
1/2 Onion, finely chopped
2 to 3 Tablespoons Oil

  • Set Water, Tomato Sauce and bouillon over medium heat in a small sauce pan.  The purpose here is to get the liquids hot.
  • Place oil in the pan over medium high heat.  
  • Add Rice, Onion and Garlic and sauté until rice begins to brown slightly.
  • Add rice to the heated liquids.
  • Cover and simmer on low for 15 minutes.
  • Stir in Cheese while warm (Optional).



No comments:

Post a Comment