Pages

.


.


Menu Plan Monday: Week of August 10th, 2012

views the best pictures



Welcome to the Gluten Free Menu Swap's Paleo Themed Week!


Hello everyone and welcome to my blog!  I am hosting the Gluten Free Menu Swap this week.  This week's theme is Paleo Meals.  I have been following the Paleo diet along with my husband for a few months now and have accomplished great success in weight loss alone.  In another week my hubs and I are getting our complete physicals so we can see what this diet has done to our overall health, not just the number on the scale.

Warning, I am sharing before and after pictures of myself!!!!  It is embarrassing to me to do so but I feel seeing is believing!!!

Gluten Free Fat Lisa
I had no idea I was really this fat!
Not even holding it in....
10 pounds to go until my Healthy BMI





















I am not the "paleo" expert in our house.  My husband is in charge of all things paleo around here. In fact I put forth very little effort in learning anything about Paleo.  I have told my readers this before and I will tell you again, this was a challenge I initially was not willing to partake in.  After all, wasn't being Gluten Free hard enough?  We were already Gluten Free for a year or so because of my littlest one's allergy.  Wasn't being gluten free hard enough?  Yes, I said that twice!  It kept going though my mind over and over.  Paleo tosses a few extra things out and is a bit more of a challenge than being Gluten Free alone......so I was reluctant. Going Paleo, though, was not as hard for us as it would be for somebody who also has to kick the wheat addiction as well. Truth is, I WAS a tad bit chunky for my small frame size. And how many diets through the years did I force my poor hubby on?  So I reluctantly supported him and hopped on board a week later.  After all, I am the diet queen!  One thing I can do well is diet!!!

What made him start out on his first ever "diet"? Here is a little excerpt from my husbands explanation on Facebook:
"Mid May I listened to a tech podcast about a diet Steve Gibson was testing on himself and the changes it made it to his biochemistry. It interested me, so I dug into the details. My weight was going the wrong way slowly. The scientist in me saw the rationale of the diet. Eating this way is feeding the machine that we are with what it needs. 50+ lbs down, 23 more to hit the "healthy" BMI range."
FITBOMB's Post on What is The Paleo Diet?
Check out this link he suggests.  Just click the link on the Paleo Pyramid and it will re-direct you.  Fitbomb covers every possible question you may have about Paleo. Fitbomb's wife, Nom Nom Paleo, has an incredible site with awesome photographs of what she eats every day as well as a smart phone app with recipes and such. Do you need a few other recommended places on the web for paleo recipes? Word of caution..... some of these links are not exclusively Paleo.


I have used the word diet several times throughout this post so far.  But did you read how my husband explained it?  Eating this way feeds the machine with what it needs.  It is more like lifestyle change.  Now when I eat any grain or sugar source I recall in my mind The Rosedale Diet and what Dr. Rosedale says in his dietary guideline.  If I eat sugars/carbs/grains I do so consciously knowing I am doing something harmful to my health.    OK, onto the menu plan shall we?

Monday:
SalisburySteak2-1
try using Arrowroot powder to thicken the gravy

Tuesday:
photo-13-1

Green Leaf Lettuce Taco's with diced Avocado & Tomato
try making your own Taco Seasoning Blend

Wednesday:
Seasoned & Pan Fried Pork Chops, Cauliflower Rice & Green Beans

Thursday:
This is a picture of Paleo Lo Mein.  I want to call it stir fry tho because that is simply what it is.
I love the flavor of this dish and I also love putting into it all the extra veggies I have laying around in the fridge from earlier in the week.  

Friday:
Paleo Pizza ~ no cheese please.
several of the blogs I liked to above have a pizza crust recipe you can try.

Saturday:
Spaghetti Squash with Bolognese Meat Sauce
We really do try and lay off the tomatoes but I love this dish!
Urban Poser and Against all Grain blogs both have a tomato-less sauce I want to try very soon.

Sunday:
Hungarian Pot Roast (love this recipe)
served with Mashed Cauliflower and a side a broccoli
Again I am using arrowroot to thicken the juices the roast puts out.


See, it is not really that hard to follow now is it?  You will not starve, I promise.  Fill your omelet in the morning with a half cups worth of veggies or have almond flour pancakes for breakfast.  Try some Avocado chicken salad for lunch (without the bread) or switch it up and use tuna.  Sweet tooth you say?  Well thats easy.  Bake up some of Elana's Paleo Banana Bread or make some of my very own custard base ice cream to make your own ice cream creation!







**************************************************************************************


Angela at Angela's Kitchen is not necessarily Paleo but she does have a wide range of wonderful recipes on her blog. She also has lots of recipes that could easily be modified if you were to pursue this diet.  This week the meals she is serving that could possibly be Paleo is Plum Balsamic Chicken (use Polaner All Fruit), Taco Meat served up taco bar style, Sweet and Spicy Glazed Chicken (use Polaner All Fruit and Coconut Aminos or Tamari as replacements for soy), and finally what would be my family favorite ~ Sausage and Peppers!  She also has lots of other great menu ideas for a busy mom on the go.  Head on over there and read how she manages to serve up great meals in addition to the annual back to school activities!!!

Heather at Celiac Family, along with her husband, is trying out the Paleo Diet for a week.  That is the advice I give anybody who asks, give it a week and see how you feel!  Great news Heather!!!  She shares lots of incredible links to great Paleo dinners as well.  I may have to give a few of these a try myself.  She is serving up Lemon Dill Salmon, Angela's ^ Crock Pot Fajitas, Spaghetti Squash with Grilled Chicken, and Pulled Pork (just be careful with the BBQ Sauce).  I love the Cauliflower Rice and Summer Squash Sauté she plans to serve as a side dishes too!  Check out Heathers page and see how she makes out next week!



Looking for inspiration? I can help in three different ways.
  1. Head on over to Orgjunkie.com and visit Laura's Menu Plan Monday.
  2. Visit Heather at Celiac Family, the Gluten Free Menu Swap headquarters!
  3. You can also view my past menu plans here 

No comments:

Post a Comment