Pages

.


.


No Corn Corn Dogs

views the best pictures

As some of you may know, I have a son who is allergic to corn.  I strive to make his life as normal as possible as corn and corn syrup is in EVERYTHING!!!  Millet is what I am using to replace the corn meal in this recipe.  Millet is both yellow and gritty like corn meal is so I felt it would be a prefect replacement.  I was right!  While it does not actually TASTE like corn, I think the overall texture is the perfect replacement for corn in this dish.

The kids thought it was so good that the extra I made to keep at church for future corn dog nights disappeared before the 5:30 pm departure time.  GONE baby gone!  They loved them.  Makes me smile to see them love something so passionately.




1 Package Hebrew National Beef Franks (cut in half)
3/4 Cup Gluten Free Flour Blend (or Pamela’s Pancake/Baking Mix Gluten Free)
1/2 Cup Gluten Free Millet Flour
White Rice Flour (for coating)
1 Egg
1/2 Cup cold water


  • In a medium bowl mix together flour blend or Pamela’s Baking Mix, millet, egg, and water. 
  • Set  bit of white rice flour in a dish for dusting dogs with.
  • Remove the franks from the package and pat dry with a paper towel.
  • Take a Shish Kabob Skewer and insert it into the frank about 1/2 – 3/4 of the way, set aside and continue with the remaining franks. 
  • Dip franks in white rice flour to coat completely (the batter will stick better this way). 
  • In a medium sauce pan or deep fryer heat oil to 350° (about 1 – 1/2 inches for sauce pan). 
  • Dip franks in the batter – it is not a perfect dip, you may need to move the frank around a little bit in a twist swirl pattern to get it all covered. Sometimes I even recruit a fork to help me.  (careful, not too too thick) You want it to cook on the inside as well as the outside. Tho this is only an issue with the oil.  The machine I linked below bakes them perfectly because you can only use as much batter that will fit in the slot.
  • Add a batter dipped corn dog to each slot or appliance (minus the skewer you used to dip for the machine).  Alternatively, add three-four franks to the oil, turn often to brown all sides evenly. I take my deep fryer basket out for this job.  
  • Cook each frank for a full minute or until machine light clicks as done.
  • Remove corn dogs and place on a plate lined with paper towels. 
  • Repeat this process until all the corn dogs have been cooked. 

I do have a deep fryer which works nicely but what I use is a Corn Dog maker similar to the one below.  My kids prefer it baked this way instead of frying.



NostalgiaProductsGroup PNB-900 (Google Affiliate Ad)


No comments:

Post a Comment