Pages

.


.


Philadelphia Scrapple

views the best pictures

I grew up in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  In fact my husband is Pennsylvania Dutch.  When I do go back home for a visit, I always return with some scrapple.  Scrapple is traditionally made with a bit of Wheat flour though so that makes it off limits for me.  Not to mention I live in the south now where you can not get a hold of it anyway.  So I set out to find another option.  I have read where some chef's add buckwheat flour instead of wheat.  I may try that some day and re-post.

If I close my eyes and eat scrapple from back home, it taste a tad spicy to me.  Very well seasoned, unlike MOST of the recipes you find on the internet.  That is what I tried to accomplish with this recipe.  Something I can make myself, that was gluten free and tasted like home.

2 pounds pork Loin or Shoulder or Butt
2 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
2 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon savory
2 teaspoon ground thyme (the only traditional PA Dutch spice add this)
2 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
3 quarts of Water

(sometimes marjoram, mace are traditionally used)

Cut up pork into 2 inch chunks. Place the pork chunks and spices in a stock pot and cover with water (or chicken broth if your feeling decadent or dont have a bone to simmer with it). Simmer for about an hour for a loin.  If using a piece of meat with a bone then add an hour.  Make sure the meat falls apart off the bone. Drain and reserve stock.

Chop all the meat with a knife or food processor, being careful not to grind it too fine. Set aside.

Measure 5 cups of stock and return to pot. Bring it to a simmer; add meat, cornmeal, salt and pepper, and stir constantly until thick and smooth, about 15 to 30 minutes or until the consistency of porridge.

Pour mixture into 2 loaf pans and refrigerate until completely chilled. Un-mold scrapple. Slice and fry until golden brown and crisp on both sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment