Pages

.


.


Recipe | Chicken Pasta in Chunky Tomato Sauce

views the best pictures

Sister started working again, so it's rare for us to spend time together, and last Saturday (her day off at work), she asked if I could cook her a pasta dish. Well, she is one big pasta lover, so I decided to give in to her wishes, after all, she is my baby sister.

We haven't had the chance to do grocery shopping yet, and the only meat I could use for the pasta was the chicken breast. The only time I get to eat pasta with chicken is when I eat at KFC - whenever I cook pasta, I always go for the usual choice of protein: pork, beef, and tuna. I wasn't sure how the dish will turn out, but I still gave it a shot.

Chicken Pasta in Chunky Tomato Sauce

Chicken Pasta in Chunky Tomato Sauce
{serves 2 - 3}

Ingredients
  • 125g pasta, cooked per package directions
  • 150g boiled chicken breast (flaked), stock reserved
  • 1 pouch Clara Ole Chunky Tomato Sauce
  • 1 small onion, minced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 medium sized carrot, minced
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • a dash of Italian Seasoning
  • 1 - 2 tablespoons Olive Oil (pure)
  • grated cheese (optional)

How to Cook:

  • Heat olive oil and saute onions and garlic. Just before the garlic turns light brown, add in the chicken and mix.
  • Add a little of the reserved stock (three tablespoons will be enough), then the tomato sauce. Let it simmer for a few minutes, then add in the carrots.
  • Add in a dash of Italian Seasoning followed by the salt and pepper. Simmer for about a minute then adjust the seasoning according to your preference.
  • Toss in the cooked pasta and serve.

I didn't add some grated cheese to my plate of pasta because I try to save myself from additional calories, but since the tomato sauce I used is three-cheese flavored, I still could taste a hint of cheese into it. My sister used cheese spread (Chiz Whiz) on her pasta to add some creaminess into it.

By the way, I cooked the chicken first - I added a pinch of salt and pepper as well as a minuscule amount of onion and garlic just so the chicken already had some flavor prior to cooking the sauce. I set aside a little of the stock for the sauce, while the remaining stock (strained) I used in cooking the pasta, with additional water and salt, of course.

Whenever I cook pasta, I save gas by turning off the heat halfway through the process (about 4 - 5 minutes after I added the pasta into the boiling water), and let the remaining heat cook the pasta. Of course, this is quite a risky move... I have to check the pot every once in a while just to stir the pasta and making sure I don't leave it too long. I am sure not everyone will agree to it, but I can get al dente pasta without using much gas, so I am okay with this.

Now that I've said goodbye to pork and I don't allow myself to eat much beef, using chicken for my pasta dishes is going to be something I might do a lot from now on.




No comments:

Post a Comment