Pages

.


.


An Extraordinary Low Carb Thanksgiving

views the best pictures



This is my old house, my old dining room.  Man, I miss that place!  This is our very first low carb thanksgiving.  We are still eating the traditional foods and making the substitutes where needed.


What is Thanksgiving without the turkey? Well that is what I think anyway but I just learned that a large portion of Southerns actually prefer HAM for dinner instead.  OK, ok I can respect that, but we need the turkey.  I save eating turkey all year for this day.  Riverside brand (Walmart) and Butterball are the gluten free options in our neck of the woods. Riverside has gluten free printed right on the package. I always feel good when I see that. We brine our turkey.  It really does make the turkey extra moist. The brine we use is half of Alton's Brown's recipe.  We leave out the aromatics portions and will switch out the brown sugar for Coconut Nectar Crystals instead to make it Paleo.  OR maybe I will just leave the sweetener out all together!


as an alternate you can make: Gluten Free Copycat Stovetop Stuffing
I am not putting the Sausage, Mushrooms and Apple in my stuffing like Dinielle suggests, I will modify it to suite us, as I usually do.  Danielle says this recipe tricked regular SAD diet eaters so I have high hopes for this recipe.  I am actually not even trying this out ahead of time so all or nothing here.  LOL.


as an alternate you can make: Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes
This year we are serving both versions so the non dieters wont throw a hissy fit! LOL.  Check out this mock version, looks good.


Cranberry Port Conserve 
is a recipe from Bon Appetite that we have been using since the very beginning! I have seen recipes posted as Paleo using Orange Juice as the sweetener, pureed apples as the sweetener.  Neither of these is Rosedale Diet approved. My new favorite sweetener to use these days is Coconut Nectar Sugar because of all the minerals in it.  I am pretty sure this would not be Rosedale diet approved either!  It does seem to be the most healthy sweetener available.  The taste is good and in moderation I am sure you will be fine.  They key is not to eat so much that you kick yourself out of fat burning.  This year tho, I will add some extra unflavored gelatin so it jells properly!

This, my friends, is Urban Poser's picture of her Green Bean Casserole recipe!
Awesome, right?
Paleo Green Bean Casserole
Dosen't this look outstanding?  The idea of making and keeping this dish on the menu started with the Urban Poser's Green Bean Casserole recipe which I found totally by mistake.  She is using Ina Graten's Crispy Shallots instead of the french fried onions that are traditionally used.  I think that is a wonderful idea.  I will use Against All Grain's Creamy Mushroom Soupas the base, tho, because her soup looks a bit more creamy and that is how I like my casserole.


Traditional Sweet Potato Casserole
This is sort of the recipe I will be using.  I like to add Cinnamon and Nutmeg to my potatoes and it gives them this slightly darker color.  I am also switching out the sugar for Coconut Nectar Sugar. My new favorite sweetener to use these days is Coconut Nectar Sugar because of all the minerals in it.  It seems to be the most healthy sweetener available.  The taste is good and in moderation I am sure you will be fine.  They key is not to eat so much that you kick yourself out of fat burning.  I just can't leave it off the menu tho, it is a tradition to serve sweet potatoes at our house.


Mmm... hot cloverleaf rolls
Biscuits or Cloverleaf Rolls

 None of the Paleo Biscuits I have ever tried turned out right.  No offense to my favorite blogs.  I am trying to decide to either make my own Gluten Free sweet potato biscuits, Shirley's gluten free sweet potato biscuit that used half almond flour and half gluten free flours.
*****
I had a reader make Clover Leaf Rolls out of a Modified version of my bread recipe by adding 1/4 cup of Almond Flour to the mix and forming into 2 1/2 inch balls and placing into a muffin tin.  I will have to try this, I think. this year.


Paleo Pumpkin Pie


No comments:

Post a Comment