Pages

.


.


Sweet Potato Biscuits

views the best pictures

I have out my 1996 Thanksgiving Cooking notes.  That year I served Sweet Potato Biscuits for dinner and recall what a raging hit it was.  Even the cat enjoyed one for dinner!

This is the actual recipe I used when I still used wheat.  That said, this recipe works with my gluten free flour blend as well.  I have included it below for you.  I was so pleased biting into this light and fluffy biscuit.  I never had much success in accomplishing a good Gluten Free Biscuit before this recipe.  I thought that those biscuit enjoying days were gone. Imagine my surprise when these turned out so well.  I think the Sweet Potato makes the difference here.  I like LOVE the idea of having the veggie hiding in my bread as well.  Enjoy them fresh and warm for the best experience.



2 Large Sized Sweet Potatoes (about 1 1/4 pounds or 2 Cups)
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
  (I have also used 1/2 cup Margarine and 1/2 cup Shortening 
       as well as all shortening)
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
2 Eggs
4 1/2 cups Gluten Free Flour Blend
1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
2 Tablespoons Baking Powder
1 1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Baking Soda (make a diary
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 cup Buttermilk
  (Make it diary free by using a few teaspoons of vinegar or 
      Lemon Juice with alt. milks such as Soy, Rice or Almond)


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Pierce potatoes in severa places.  Bake until very tender, about 1 hour.
Cut potatoes in half and cool slightly.  Scoop flesh from potatoes into small bowl and cool completely.  Reduce oven to 375 degrees.

Place 2 cups sweet potatoes into large bowl (save any remaining sweet potato for another use).  Add butter and brown sugar.  Beat until smooth.  Add Eggs and whip for a minute.  Sift flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and cinnamon into medium bowl.  Mix dry ingredients into sweet potato mixture alternately with buttermilk in 3 additions, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.

Transfer dough to generously floured surface lined with parchment paper. Roll to 3/4 inch thickness.  Using 2 1/4 inch round cutter, cut out biscuits.  Arrange on baking sheet allowing sides to touch.  Gather scraps into ball.  Re-roll to 3/4 inch thickness.  Cut out additional biscuits.

Bake biscuits until golden puffed, about 25 to 30 minutes.  Transfer baking sheet to rack and cool.





    No comments:

    Post a Comment