Pages

.


.


Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup

views the best pictures

This soup is so rich and flavorful.  It is not much to look at, but make no mistakes...the taste is incredible.  I am not using cream as traditionally called for.  Instead I'm using pureed beans and I swear you can not tell the difference between the two.  I'm tossing it all in the crock pot so no muss or fuss.  I just toss it all in at 7:30 am just before we get dressed for church and return home to a lovely lunch.  The soup was nicely thickened without added thickener.  I think the low and slow cooking of the rice must have something to do with this.  If you are doing this on the stove top, I would suggest adding some flour.


1/2 (one stick) cup Butter or Margarine
     (I have used Fleischmann Salt free or Earth Balance sticks for the margarine)
1 finely chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup sliced carrots
     (or one 16 ounce bag of frozen Onion, Celery & Carrots diced)
1/2 pound fresh sliced mushrooms
     (I sometimes use an 8 ounce can of sliced mushrooms)
6 cups chicken broth (48 ounces)
2 cups cooked wild rice
1 pound boneless skinless chicken, cooked and cubed
     (I usually use two leftover chicken leg quarters)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoons dry sherry
16 ounces (one can) of Navy Beans or White Beans, pureed
1 cup broth (any, I used beef to add more flavor)


  • Add everything except beans to the crock pot and set on high for 6 hours.  
  • Add beans to food processor along with the included juices its packed in.
  • Add some broth if necessary to puree until completely smooth.
  • Add pureed beans with remaining broth to hot soup mixture.  
  • Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment