Pages

.


.


Gluten Free Pie Crust

views the best pictures

I have two pie crusts that I had in mind to try since becoming Gluten Free.  I like the Whole Foods pie crust, but that store is an hour away and just is not reasonable for every day.  First up is a recipe that I have been using since I was able to consume wheat flour.  It is a Martha Stewart recipe that I tweaked.  She uses all butter, I like to use half butter, half Crisco. It turns out to be not only gluten free but a gluten free egg free pie crust.  It is simply perfect for when I need to make something allergy friendly for various events.  I am always volunteering to do the allergy items because...well....I have a passion for folks who have to do without.  Makes me think of my daughter.

Up to this point did not have much luck with gluten free pie crust recipes.  For the most part, the pie crust recipes I tried  did not result in an edible crust (the exposed part) once baked. I do not blame the recipe though, it could be the baker!!  :-D. I am fairly new at being gluten free and was not sure it could be any other way.

So what was on my wish list for the perfect gluten free pie crust?  The crust has to hold together yet be tender at the same time.  It should not taste like a cookie dough either although I think this would have its place in the world.  I guess that it seems like I'm asking too much but that is what I was hoping for in trying out this old recipe in a gluten free style.

So I finally did it!!! I finally baked a crust that worked for us.  This recipe was really good.  Really really good. I was so excited!!!  It held up under the wet pumpkin bottom and you were actually able to EAT the RIM!!!  Two thumbs up!


2 1/2 cups Flour Blend **
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Sugar
1/2 cup unsalted Butter
1/2 cup Shortening
1/2 cup ice COLD Water

  • Put the flour, salt and sugar into food processor and pulse once or twice.
  • Add the butter and shortening and process until the mixture looks sandy or the size of pea gravel.
  • Slowly, while pulsing, add the water until the dough all pulls together to form a ball inside your processor.
  • Divide dough in half.  Place dough on a surface lined with parchment paper or on a Silicone mat.
  • Lightly flour the top and roll out making tiny turns as you roll to form a circle.
  • Use Mat/paper to transport crust to glass pie plate. Gently settle crust into the pie plate.  I was able to simple turn my pie plate upside down over the crust and then turn the whole crust/pate over upright and peel off the paper/mat.
  • Place pie plate into freezer or refrigerator to chill.  
** I used 1 cup Sorghum and 1 1/2 cups of the Udi's Bread flour blend which is 2 cups Tapioca, 1 cup SF Brown Rice Flour and 1/2 cup Potato Starch.  Don't Forget the 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum!!!**

No comments:

Post a Comment