Pages

.


.


Italian Almond Cookies

views the best pictures

This year was our first ever Gluten Free Christmas here at our household.  When considering cookies for this occasion, instead of trying to re-invent the wheel, I decided to search out cookies that were already gluten free (not requiring flour).  This Italian Almond cookie topped my list.  Why, well because my side of the family is Italian of course!! :-).  I was not sure how well this cookie would go over though and a bit nervous making them.  I was pleased to see my son sneak one off of the tray I was getting ready to photograph for this post.  I giggle just thinking back about it.  He says, "Mom these are good."  Yay!



I have heard folks put almond slivers in them, roll them or top them in ground almonds.  It makes for a really nice touch.  And then I seen a recipe over at GF Homemaker that adds Cherries.  I tried that too, very good!!!

2 1/4 cups Whole Almonds
2/3 cup Sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup Butter, room temperature
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Almond Extract
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract


  • Combine almonds and sugar in a food processor.  
  • Pulse and puree until you achieve a fine powder (just before butter).
  • Add eggs to mixing bowl and beat until fluffy.
  • Add almond/sugar puree, soda, butter, salt and extracts.  Mix until incorporated
  • Scoop dough out in tablespoon or cookie scoop measure ont baking sheet leaving 1 to 1-1/2 inches apart.
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
  • Cookies will achieve a thin wafer 2 inches in diameter that is surprisingly chewy yet crispy.  


Later on, I added 1 cup of flour and 1 teaspoon of Xanthan Gum so I could achieve a puffier cookie.  Any old flour blend will do.  It takes from the pure almond flavor of the original but a softer cookie results.  Noticed I tried adding dried cherries in this softer cookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment