Pages

.


.


Gluten Free Cream Soup Base, replacement for condensed cream soup

views the best pictures

Also known in French cuisine as Béchamel sauce.  It is the base to many other dishes such as Italian white sauce for Alfredo, cheese sauce to use for your Macaroni and Cheese or over vegetables.  The final product in this recipe is thick and it is intended to be this way.  I am making mine to end up with the same consistency as your canned cream of soups.

As a young adult I would watch the likes of Julia Child make this sauce and call it Béchamel and think to myself, it looks way too complicated.  Really, its not and I only learned this out of need.  I need a condensed cream of whatever replacement for those canned goods I used to cook with but no longer can use.

I am not cooking the flour as old traditions suggest.  I find that gluten free flours do not need this step and turn out just wonderful without it.


5 Tablespoons Gluten Free Flour 
   (I have used GF Bisquick or Brown Rice Flour)
1/2 cup Butter
2 cups Milk
2 cubes Bouillon
  • Melt butter over low heat in a medium saucepan 
  • Add milk and cook until milk is just warm.
  • Stir in flour and bouillon and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until bouillon is melted and sauce is thickened.  Sauce will be complete when it coats the back of your spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment