Pages

.


.


Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipe for White Bread

views the best pictures

Some of my longer term readers may recall this recipe from a previous post.  I am so sorry I had to delete that recipe but I received so many complaints about it being poor quality, I had to take it down.  My goal for this blog is for it to be a Gluten Free recipe Safe Haven.  A place where you can go for recipes that work and will not disappoint.  These are my recipes and my pictures and I take great pride in providing recipes to you that will work and look just like what I have photographed.

This bread is much taller than it looks.  Expect hearty 5x4" slices
I believe the problem with the previous recipe was two things.  The measurement for Brown Rice Flour was off and the water included in the old recipe also accommodated the water needed to reconstitute Powdered Egg Whites.  If you exchanged whole egg whites and still kept the full amount of water, then it was too much water and would collapse.  With that in mind, I took the recipe down and set forth to master this recipe step by step.

I know, I know....It has been a while since I promised I was working on my Bread machine recipe.  It seems like forever actually. But wait no more! This is my new and improved, set it and forget it, gluten free...bread machine....white bread recipe.  The skeleton of this recipe is the Udi's White Bread copycat recipe I have created here on my blog. I tweaked to accommodate the bread machine.  The quality of this bread reminds you of a good hearty potato sandwich bread or Italian sandwich bread (the kind we used to eat before Celiac). Do you remember eating those before going gluten free? Not sticky, not TOO dense and not at all crumbly.  Once defrosted it will brown nicely when toasted.  If you take slices out of the freezer to make a sandwich for lunch, it will not be on the way to staleness by noon.  It will not crumble under the wet lettuce.  I think this recipe is finally ready to share with the world.

These are massive sized slices
Please Note:
This recipe was developed to make one 2 pound loaf 
in my Xojiruchi programmable machine.
It will overflow a smaller bread pan.

First things first.  How do you program a gluten free bread cycle for your bread machine?  After several trial and errors, this is what worked for me.

Preheat: 20 minutes
Knead: 18 minutes
Rise 1: 1:00 hour
Rise 2: Off
Rise 3: Off
Bake: 1:10 hours
Warm: Off
Crust: Dark


Dry Ingredients
2 cups Tapioca Starch
1 1/2 cups Brown Rice Flour
1/2 cup Potato Starch
5 Tablespoons Sugar
4 teaspoons Xanthan Gum
2 teaspoons Salt
2 teaspoons Baking Powder

Wet Ingredients
6 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 1/4 cup Warm Water (approximately 110 degrees)
1 teaspoon Vinegar
4 Tablespoons Oil
4 teaspoons Yeast

  • Combine dry ingredients (first 7) and mix well.  Make sure those dry ingredients are fully incorporated.
  • Add yeast in warm water.  Allow sit until it starts to become foamy.
  • Add egg whites into a bowl large enough to beat with a fork.
  • Whip egg whites with a fork for 2-3 minutes or until light and fluffy, ALMOST soft peaks.  We are just looking to break up the egg white jell here, not to foam it up to soft peaks.
  • Add oil and vinegar to egg mixture and place into machine pan with paddles inserted. (first layer)
  • Add yeast/water as next layer. (second layer)
  • Next add the dry ingredients gently over top. (third layer)
  • Set your machine according to the programming up top.
  • Machine will beep once mixing cycle is almost complete.  Take this opportunity to check batter consistency, scrape the batter down with a spatula and remove paddles if necessary.
  • One bread machine beeps to alert you to the baking cycle being complete, take loaf pan immediately out of the machine.  
  • Gently tap the side of the pan to loosen the bread and take it out.
  • Cool COMPLETELY on a rack until bread is room temperature.  Dont' cheat here, it needs to cool.

Notes:
I can't stress this enough, take the bread immediately out of the pan once it is finished baking in the bread machine.  Otherwise too much moisture will cause the bread to collapse.

Try adding dry powdered milk for the nutritional value (if you can tolerate it).  I have small children with growing bones and added Calcium and Vitamin D would definitely help.

I am using Instant Dry Yeast and I am proofing it first even though manufacturers say you do not have to.  For some reason it works better for me this way.  The non proofed yeast results in a more dense bread.

Dough that is perfect for the bread machine will form a soft peak. Dip a spoon or spatula into the batter and pull gently up.  Dough will just drop over at the very top is the correct softness.

Humidity and where in the world you live has a huge influence on your bread.  Try the recipe first.  If you need improvements or have issues, start by leaving out 2-4 tablespoons of water and look for the correct consistency during the mixing cycle.

If you never made Gluten Free bread before, it will not look like gluten bread.  It will be more dense and sticky and should form soft peaks (like egg whites).


I will posting this recipe to:

No comments:

Post a Comment