Pages

.


.


Gluten Free Graham Crackers

views the best pictures


Well its camping season for my little cub scout and our tiny town does not sell gluten free Graham Crackers.  Crackers are one of those things I always wanted to try and make home made so I suppose I was motivated.  I was not motivated enough, however, to do this task from scratch without a recipe.  Especially not with only a week to go at the point I finally decided I wanted to bring them to camp.  So I did an internet search.  Smitten Kitten had a pretty popular recipe (not to mention picturelicious) on her blog.  Several of her readers even said that they had accomplished this task gluten free tho none said exactly how.  So I thought to myself, "lets convert that recipe to be gluten free shall we?"  It is simply amazing how much these crackers taste like the real thing.  Better in fact.

I am a visual learner so I tried to pass on a few helpful pictures to help you along as well.  Just in case you are a visual learner like me.

So my final word is, do not go camping without the graham crackers!!!  Make some crackers, its easy....I promise ;-)


3/4 cups Sorghum Flour
2/3's cup Brown Rice Flour
2/3's cup Tapioca Starch
1/2 cup Millet Flour
1/2 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 cup Dark Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
3/4's teaspoon Salt
7 Tablespoons Cold Butter, cubed
1/4 cup Honey
1/4 cup Cold Milk or Water
1 teaspoon Vanilla
Cinnamon Sugar blend.

Preheat oven to 320 degrees
Line baking sheet with parchment paper sprayed with oil

  • In a large bowl, whisk together flours, xanthan gum, cinnamon, sugar, baking soda and salt. 
  • Add flour blend to food processor and add in cold butter cubes. 
  • Pulse until crumbles form the size of small peas. 
  • Add Honey, Milk and Vanilla. Run food processor until the mixture starts to come together. (not all of the batter will come together due to the amount in the processor but it will if you squeeze it together with your hand) 
  • Take out of food processor and place either into a greased bowl or onto a greased counter. 
  • Kneed slightly until the dough comes together, forms a ball, and is smooth. 
  • Divide dough in half place one half aside.
  • Press dough out on the parchment lined backing sheet. 
  • Take your greased marble rolling pin and roll out dough (inside baking sheet) until it is the shape of a rectangle.  About 1/8th inch.  Seriously if you have never used a greased marble rolling pin (the kind that fits inside the baking sheet) you simply MUST.  It really works wonderful.  It will make you so happy to not be frustrated with dough sticking to your roller.
  • Measure out and cut (I used a pizza cutter) the crackers into the size you wish.
  • Prick with a fork and place into the refrigerator for about 1/2 hour.  You want to chill this just enough to separate the crackers and to prevent too much spread.  (Note: My crackers [see top picture] had a rugged edge because I baked them not separated as pictured in the grouping above.  The line totally disappeared so I re-cut the crackers while they were still hot).
  • Bake for 25 minutes. 
  • Remove from oven and sprinkle with Cinnamon Sugar while crackers are still hot.
  • Allow to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before attempting to move.  

Other great Graham Cracker Recipes on the net:
Living Without Graham Cracker Recipe (tho their picture looks suspiciously like regular crackers, but hey who am I to judge?)



I will posting this recipe to:





No comments:

Post a Comment