Pages

.


.


Udi's Bread Copy Cat Recipe ~ Take 2

views the best pictures


The first loaf I made was 4 ounces heavier than it should have been so I decided to tweak it. I did not change much but the sole purpose of this experiment was to create an exact duplicate.  This time I used powdered egg whites because that is what I think a mass production bakery would use. I also used slightly more water, slightly less flour.

This version turned out much more like Udi's Gluten Free White statistics wise.  I have no idea why, I am not really a scientist.  The air holes are larger, the size of the slices are almost exact, the color of the crust was even the same.  I believe the harder the crust is, the less likely it is to shrink.

I did not have a loaf of Udi's this time to compare in a blind taste test.  The taste and texture is great none the less and it toasts nicely.  My next step is to try this in my bread machine.





1 cup Tapioca Starch
1/2 cup Brown Rice Flour
1/4 cup Potato Starch
2 Tablespoons Oil
2 Tablespoons Egg White Powder
2 Tablespoons Sugar
2 teaspoons Yeast
2 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon vinegar
3/4 cup PLUS 2 Tablespoons Warm Water


Preheat oven to 170 degrees. Once preheated turn oven off.
Lightly grease an 8 x 3 bread pan.  I used a small foil loaf pan.

  • Fill a measuring cup with 3/4's cup of warm water.
  • Add 2 Tablespoons egg powder to bowl along with 2 Tablespoons of warm water. 
  • Add 4 Tablespoons of the water from the 3/4's full measuring cup.  
  • Allow egg mixture to sit until powder is dissolved.
  • Add sugar and yeast to the remaining water and allow to sit until a slightly foamy layer forms on top.
  • Place egg whites into stand mixer and mix until soft peaks form.
  • Add Sugar/Yeast mixture, oil, vinegar, xanthan gum, salt, baking powder and flours in mixer with whip attachment and whip for 3 or 4 minutes.
  • Add batter in oiled 8 x 3 pan.  Batter will be slightly thick like room temperature cream cheese.
  • Place pan in warmed oven to rise about 1 hour.
  • Take bread out of oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Spray top of bread with Pam.
  • Bake for 75 minutes.
  • Take out of oven and let rest 10 minutes in the pan.
  • Remove from pan and continue cooling on a rack.
  • Dont rush the cooling step, it needs to cool properly or you will squash the bread height.
Sandwiched Between for Comparison


If you prefer to use real eggs, as I do, please also see:

No comments:

Post a Comment