Pages

.


.


Cowboy Stew

views the best pictures

Dinners for 10 dollars or less


Here is another recipe I brought over to my sister's house that day she called me for help.  Again, it is a use up all those extra cans in your pantry recipe.  My mother tells me that my Aunt Re has been making a version of this for some time now.  My Aunt Re is the fabulous cook in the family.  I remember eating at her house as a kid and walking away thinking I had just experienced something great.  This is a very economical dish that you can make that is sure to be a crowd pleaser.

The inspiration for the actual recipe below is from a recipe I found on Allrecipes that I have changed a bit.  My sister says this dish tastes like Chili to her.  Like a vegetarian chili.  Of course it has meat in there but it is also jam packed with vegetables.  It makes a HUGE pot that feeds my family of 5 twice plus a spare leftover lunch or two.




1 pound Ground Beef or Turkey
1 pound Kielbasa (or smoked sausage), diced
1 Onion, diced
1 14.5 ounce Can Diced Tomatoes
2 Cans Diced Potatoes
1 Can Pinto Beans (or any kind you like)
1 Can Corn
1 Can Diced Tomatoes with Green Chili Peppers
1 Can Mixed Vegetables
2 cups Water
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon Cumin
1 teaspoon Chili Powder
Salt and Pepper to Taste


  • Cook and crumble brown beef and onion in a large pot over medium heat.  
  • Add the diced sausage.  Cook and stir until meat is no longer pink.
  • Add remaining canned goods and spices.  
  • Cover and simmer on medium-low for one hour, stirring occasionally.
  • This could also all be added to a crock pot and cooked on low for 6 to 8 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment