Pages

.


.


Gluten free Mac and Cheese Recipe

views the best pictures

I have been thinking a lot about back to school lunches.  This year my gluten free daughter starts Kindergarten and I have decided that both children will pack a lunch.  The idea of packing a lunch scares me.  I myself do not like to eat the same lunch every day and do not expect them to eat a sandwich every day either.  After all, I am asking my son to skip the hot meal for my packed lunches.  But to come up with unique yet yummy ideas for kids every school day?  YIKES.  So I will start posting a series of ideas I have for back to school lunches.  Please, join me with your ideas won't you?

This recipe is what I like to call extraordinarily ordinary food.  Just the way my children like it.  Not too spicy, not too bland yet tasty enough for an adult ~ kid friendly food.  This recipe is indeed hearty enough to be a lunch.  I use Tinkyada noodles because I think that they are heartier.  Personally I think Tinkyada is a dead ringer for wheat pasta.  Don't get me wrong, I love Annies Gluten Free Mac and Cheese.  Its just that the noodles are so small.  The Tinkyada eblows remind me more of what mom used to bake in the oven.




1/4 cup Butter or Margarine
1 Onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/8 teaspoon black Pepper
16 ounce package of Elbows
3 cups Warm Water
1 Herb Ox Bouillon Cube (chicken)
2 Tablespoons Rice Flour (I have used Betty Crocker's Gluten Free Bisquick also)
1 12-13 ounce can evaporated Milk
2 cups Shredded Extra Sharp Cheese


  • Melt the butter in a heavy skillet.
  • Add the onion and seasonings.  Sauté for a two minutes.
  • Add Elbows, water and bouillon.  
  • Cover and simmer 10-5 minutes or until macaroni is almost done.
  • Add the flour and stir.
  • Stir in the evaporated milk and cheese.
  • Simmer and stir until cheese is melted.

I am going to store some of this in a twist top container for lunches.

Print

No comments:

Post a Comment