Pages

.


.


Pineapple Angel Food Cake

views the best pictures

My plan for today was to actually make a pineapple upside down cake.  What I did not know is that I had no gluten free yellow cake mix.  I could have made it from scratch I suppose, but I'm short on flour too and I need what I do have for bread.  What I did have is the Kinnikinnick Angel Food Cake mix.  My husband and I were watching Alton make Angel Food cake in one particular episode.  My husband told me while we were watching that he loved this kind of cake and that his mother used to make it all the time.  The next time I was in the Whole Foods store I picked up a bag of Kinnikinnick Angel Food Cake mix.  This mix does not include the egg so I had to add them in.  There are other very nice Angel Food cake mix's on the market with eggs included already so that step gets skipped.

OK, so I have this cake mix.  Now what?  I really think this type of cake needs something.  A topping maybe?  Add to that the fact that I really do not like to make things according to the directions on the box.  I'm always adding extras like pudding and fruit.  I was searching the net for ideas when I found this recipe.  This is actually a weight watchers recipe made Gluten Free. Anyway, my husband LOVES Angel Food Cake.  I love pineapples. This cake is awesome!

It is baked just right when it cracks
open and is golden brown.
It should look like cool whip.










1 box/bag of Angel Food Cake Mix
    *skip egg step if eggs are included in your cake mix.
8 egg whites
1 20 ounce Can Crushed Pineapples

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Beat egg whites in stand mixer until stiff peaks are formed.
  3. Add in flour and pineapple and incorporate in.
  4. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.

Final Notes

I topped this with a Pineapple gravy that I usually make for holiday ham.  This to me was a nice addition and reminded me more like a pineapple upside down cake.

I baked this in a large round pan that has sides to remove.  My husband suggested that the traditional pan would have been a better choice.  It would have allowed the cake to rise more making it more like how an Angel Food cake should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment